74 Countries Celebrate Food Revolution DayTue 28 May 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Day Team
Our second annual day of action, Food Revolution Day took place on May 17 reaching an amazing 660 cities in 74 countries around the world.
Food Revolution Day is all about joining together with friends, family, colleagues and neighbours to make noise about good food and essential cooking skills and we couldn’t be more amazed at just how many people embraced the day!
Across the world on May 17, over 1,260 real food and food education based activities took place in homes, schools, workplaces and communities. From Turkey to Taiwan and Argentina to Australia people came together to share their food knowledge and resources and send a united message to the world.
From dinner parties to potlucks there were 596 private activities, and from cooking classes to food festivals 692 public activities were held across the globe. With activities in homes, schools, at work and in the wider community our message reached far and wide and every age group!
Not only did the Food Revolution take place on the ground but the day hit the world of online and social media too. Our hash tag #FRD2013 was trending pretty much all day, and our Thunderclap cause gained a social media reach of almost 6 million people! We received hundreds of videos, recipes, blogs and photos online, and over 7,000 of you shared your #FRD2013 images on Instagram alone!
We’re continuing to receive amazing stories, images and videos which you can see here. Be sure to send us yours if you haven’t already!
A HUGE thank you to everyone that got involved, whether by sending a tweet, sharing a recipe, posting a blog, sharing a photo, hosting or attending an event or tuning in to watch Jamie's live hangout. Every single action taken on the day and in the lead up has helped to us to get our message to the world, and together we really can make a difference and keep cooking skills alive!
"One of the most amazing things about Food Revolution Day was watching on social media as news and pictures from all the many global events flooded in. This year, I truly believe that Food Revolution Day came of age and put us in a great position to really make a huge impact next year so thank you to everyone who organised an event whether it was big or small, and also to everyone who attended an event. You all helped to make a difference and you all helped build a platform for even bigger and better things next year. I hope you all took something positive away from Food Revolution Day this year. I know I did." - Jamie Oliver. Find out how Jamie celebrated Food Revolution Day here.
While Food Revolution Day may be over there are still plenty of ways to stay involved with the Food Revolution!
Ways to keep the Food Revolution alive:
• Join the conversation online and share your stories, videos and photos with us on twitter, facebook, pinterest and Instagram, and using the hash tag #FoodRevolution.
• Check out our ambassador program and find your nearest ambassador to connect with on our teams page, or apply to become one here.
• Download our Giving Assistant to help raise funds for the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation and better food education all year round, it’s simple, easy and really quick. Sign up to make your purchases count!
• Help us make food education a priority in U.S. schools, join our Get Food Education in Every School campaign and show your support for better food education and hands on cooking in schools today!
Keep sharing your stories and images with us online, on our Food Revolution Community page and with @foodrev using #FRD2013, and remember it’s never too early to start planning for Food Revolution Day 2014!
The Food Revolution Day Team
- A Look At The 2015 U.S. Dietary Guidelines
- February Ambassador Of The Month: Minati OConnell
- Plans For FRD 2015 Are Well Underway!
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Dinner Ideas
- TEDxManhattan 2015 “Changing The Way We Eat” London Viewing Party
- A Journey To Real Food
- Feeding 5 Million
- Kids Food Festival 2015
- Cooking With Kids For Valentine's Day
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Super Smoothies
- Real Food Media Contest Short Films
- Uniting For Food Truth
- February Monthly Challenges: Valentine's Day, Wonky Veg And FRD!
- January Ambassador Of The Month: Mardi Michels
- The Food Revolution Super Ambassadors
- Pilot Light Chefs Spark Food Education In Chicago
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success