California Center For Public Health AdvocacyFri 07 Feb 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
We would like to introduce you to one of the organizations on the frontline of the fight to bring healthier foods and beverages to schools.
Since 1999, the California Center for Public Health Advocacy (CCPHA) has been at the forefront of solving the obesity and diabetes epidemics in California by advocating for groundbreaking policies that build healthier communities.
The bulk of their work has centered on school food policies. CCPHA led the successful legislative effort in 2005 to set nutrition standards for competitive foods (those are the foods sold outside the US federal school meal program) sold in California schools. These early standards have served as the starting point for nutrition standard discussions at the federal level and locally across the country. CCPHA also led the successful effort to prohibit the sale of sugary sodas in California schools. And these policies seem to be working! Several studies have documented that childhood obesity rates began declining after California passed its school nutrition policies.
CCPHA continues its important work today and YOU can be a part of it. By signing up for CCPHA’s advocacy network you will be able to stay up-to-date on CCPHA’s efforts to fight the overwhelming availability of sugar-loaded drinks and the beverage industry’s hard-core marketing techniques. Members of CCPHA’s advocacy network get periodic email updates and targeted requests to contact elected officials. Join CCPHA today and be a part of their groundbreaking work!
- A Look At The 2015 U.S. Dietary Guidelines
- February Ambassador Of The Month: Minati OConnell
- Plans For FRD 2015 Are Well Underway!
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Dinner Ideas
- TEDxManhattan 2015 “Changing The Way We Eat” London Viewing Party
- A Journey To Real Food
- Feeding 5 Million
- Kids Food Festival 2015
- Cooking With Kids For Valentine's Day
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Super Smoothies
- Real Food Media Contest Short Films
- Uniting For Food Truth
- February Monthly Challenges: Valentine's Day, Wonky Veg And FRD!
- January Ambassador Of The Month: Mardi Michels
- The Food Revolution Super Ambassadors
- Pilot Light Chefs Spark Food Education In Chicago
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success