Food Revolution Cook Off: Fruit Smoothies & Fresh MilkThu 17 Nov 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Last week was our Food Revolution Milk Week of Action and hundreds of you from all across the country joined together to connect with one another and start the conversation in your school community about flavored milks. In honor of this, our Food Revolution recipe of the week was our Frozen Fruit Smoothies - a great alternative to the premade flavored milks filled full of added sugars and unnatural colors and flavors.
Not only are these smoothies easy to make and simply delicious but there are also so many variations you can do that they will never get boring! Adding some oats gives a thicker texture and fibre boost, a small handful of nuts or spoonful of peanut butter gives some extra protein and there’s no end to the fruit combinations you can try.
Remember, if certain fruits aren’t in season in your area, check out the frozen fruit section in your grocery store or supermarket – frozen fruits have been picked and frozen at their peak and remain their nutritional content and are great value!
Thanks to everyone for posting their homemade fruity drinks photos and recipes.
Some Of The Best Photos From The Community
• Om Chef strawberry, cucumber and raspberry with a papaya and pineapple swirl (1)
• Om chef honeydew, cucumber and mint with pineapple foam and a raspberry bindu (2)
• Orlene E.Gray-Davies This is the Maia's Passion smoothie. Vegan, gluten and soy free. Coconut milk, white grape juice, banana, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, hemp protein powder, chia seed (ground) and blackstrap molasses. It's in honor of my daughter who has food protein intolerances and can only really tolerate fresh fruits and veggies. (3)
The Food Revolution Team made a variety of delicious milk drinks (4&5)! Plain 1% fresh, cool white milk, 1% white milk blended with strawberries and a blueberry and blackberry smoothie made with 1% white milk, oats and natural yogurt. Our empty glasses (6) show just how delicious they were!
Other Community Recipes
• Courtney Rose Calkins We LOVE smoothies! Our son's favorite is spinach blueberry banana with honey and unsweetened soy milk!
• Stacey L Hall Strawberry, blueberry, banana, spinach, (I use frozen fruit) and milk and or plain yoghurt..
• Lisa Alesi Banana, blueberries, spinach, wheat germ, flax seed and unsweetened almond milk. Yum.
• Stacey L Hall Fresh cooked then diced then frozen beets, bananas, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries... You can also toss beet greens in to any berry smoothie, just be sure to add blue berries or black berries to hide the green, or tone down the Bright Pink from the beets..
Thanks for all the great suggestions, we hope you are as inspired by us and switch out premade and bought flavored milks in favor of these home made from scratch alternatives!
Read all about Milk Week (Jessica article) and visit our Milk HQ to find out more about and get all the resources to start a flavored milk campaign in your school!
Join the Food Revolution Fish Cook-Off This Week!
This week we have a totally new theme – fish! So why not get involved this week, either by joining us in making our Baked White Fish or by making your own favourite fish recipe. Either way, be sure to upload all your recipes and photos onto our Food Revolution Community wall.
We love seeing all your great food shots and how they inspire others and can’t wait to see your fish creations this week!
The Food Revolution Team
- A Look At The 2015 U.S. Dietary Guidelines
- February Ambassador Of The Month: Minati OConnell
- Plans For FRD 2015 Are Well Underway!
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Dinner Ideas
- TEDxManhattan 2015 “Changing The Way We Eat” London Viewing Party
- A Journey To Real Food
- Feeding 5 Million
- Kids Food Festival 2015
- Cooking With Kids For Valentine's Day
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Super Smoothies
- Real Food Media Contest Short Films
- Uniting For Food Truth
- February Monthly Challenges: Valentine's Day, Wonky Veg And FRD!
- January Ambassador Of The Month: Mardi Michels
- The Food Revolution Super Ambassadors
- Pilot Light Chefs Spark Food Education In Chicago
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success