Global Food InitiativeTue 22 Jul 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Earlier this month, the University of California launched the ‘Global Food Initiative’ that will bring together the university’s research, outreach and campus operations in an effort to develop and export solutions throughout California, the United States and the world for food security, health and sustainability.
Launched at Alice Waters Edible Schoolyard Berkeley by UC President Janet Napolitano, the Global Food Initiative was brought together after it was realised that the university system is uniquely positioned to play a leading role in addressing the related challenges of nutrition and sustainability.
“It is a commitment to apply a laser focus on what UC can do as a public research university — in one of the most robust agricultural regions in the world — to take on one of the world’s most pressing issues,” Napolitano said.
The initiative draws on UC’s leadership in agriculture, medicine, nutrition, climate science, public policy, social science, biological science, humanities, arts and law, among others and will bring together all 10 campuses to work together and put the world on a path to sustainably and nutritiously feed itself.
Examples of projects that be included in the initiative include expanding experiential learning, including demonstration gardens, leveraging food purchasing power to encourage sustainable farming practices to serve nutritious food in dining halls and cafeterias and organising food pantries so that food reaches hungry mouths instead of going to waste.
Find out more about the initiative and other projects that will be included here.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Photo credit: LEFT: Reed Hutchinson/UCLA TOP RIGHT: Robert Durell
- A Look At The 2015 U.S. Dietary Guidelines
- February Ambassador Of The Month: Minati OConnell
- Plans For FRD 2015 Are Well Underway!
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Dinner Ideas
- TEDxManhattan 2015 “Changing The Way We Eat” London Viewing Party
- A Journey To Real Food
- Feeding 5 Million
- Kids Food Festival 2015
- Cooking With Kids For Valentine's Day
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Super Smoothies
- Real Food Media Contest Short Films
- Uniting For Food Truth
- February Monthly Challenges: Valentine's Day, Wonky Veg And FRD!
- January Ambassador Of The Month: Mardi Michels
- The Food Revolution Super Ambassadors
- Pilot Light Chefs Spark Food Education In Chicago
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success