Keeping Cooking Skills Alive On The Big Rig In FresnoFri 25 Oct 2013
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Since early October, the Big Rig mobile kitchen has been in Fresno, California, sharing essential cooking skills. SIgn up for classes here.
Starting at The Big Fresno Fair, the Fresno community has seen demos onboard the Big Rig, learned some great real food recipes and discovered how much fun (and how easy!) cooking wholesome meals from scratch can be!
We’ve also seen the first set of Food Champions graduate – members of the community who have learned first-hand how to teach others to cook and who can keep the legacy alive in Fresno once the Big Rig moves on. Check out the Big Rig schedule here to see if it is coming to a community near you.
We wrapped up our first day of classes on the rig with a visit from some Fresno VIPs! Fresno Unified School District Superintendent Michael Hansen, board member Luis Chavez, Community College Board Member Eric Payne, Superior Court Judge David Gottlieb and his family, and a representative from Senator Vidak’s office all joined the Big Rig team for our "Taste of Japan" cooking class. This team of VIPs prepared tender teriyaki salmon, an elegant cucumber ribbon salad and fool-proof fluffy rice.
Everyone loved the simplicity of the recipes and really enjoyed the team cooking approach, with our Food Champions guiding them through the recipe and teaching simple cooking techniques at the same time!
Check out a video of the class in action here and see some great images on the Fresno BHC Facebook page here.
Be sure to follow @joffbigrig on Twitter and Instagram to get live updates and see classes in action, and find out more about the Big Rig and the 2013-2014 tour here.
Here’s to bringing food education, nutritious cooking skills and real food dishes to local communities!
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
- A Look At The 2015 U.S. Dietary Guidelines
- February Ambassador Of The Month: Minati OConnell
- Plans For FRD 2015 Are Well Underway!
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Dinner Ideas
- TEDxManhattan 2015 “Changing The Way We Eat” London Viewing Party
- A Journey To Real Food
- Feeding 5 Million
- Kids Food Festival 2015
- Cooking With Kids For Valentine's Day
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Super Smoothies
- Real Food Media Contest Short Films
- Uniting For Food Truth
- February Monthly Challenges: Valentine's Day, Wonky Veg And FRD!
- January Ambassador Of The Month: Mardi Michels
- The Food Revolution Super Ambassadors
- Pilot Light Chefs Spark Food Education In Chicago
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success