These yogurt pops are a great alternative to the sugary lollies found in regular stores and will satisfy anyone with a sweet tooth, regardless of age. They’re perfect on a hot summer’s day, or any time of year – whenever you fancy really!
JAMIE'S TOP TIP
- Feel free to mix things up a bit and use some different fruit along with the bananas – berries are especially good. Raspberries are really tasty and you can use them here, but I tend to stay away from them because of the seeds.
- This recipe uses frozen fruit which is great as it will have been picked while it’s at its best and frozen in time to keep in as many of the vitamins and minerals as possible. Have a search in your local store to see what frozen fruit you can get your hands on and experiment with different flavor combinations until you find your favorite.
- Peel and slice your banana and put it into a food processor or blender with the
frozen berries, yogurt and honey. Whiz it up on a low setting until really smooth.
- Divide the mixture between 6 paper cups or plastic molds – you want about 4
ounces in each.
- Place the pops in the freezer for 10 minutes, then gently poke a popsicle stick into
the center of each one. Place back in the freezer for at least 3 hours, or until frozen
Serving suggestions: Serve these as a snack during the day or for dessert after a balanced meal.
Tips from the dietitian: Try tasting the fruit and yogurt mixture before you add the honey – if it’s sweet enough, you don’t even need to add the extra calories. Your kids will love these pops – they can help you make them and they’ll be sure to choose them for a treat in place of an unhealthy snack.
Food safety: Make sure to store yogurt in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. Look at the use by date on the container to make sure your yogurt is still fresh.
2 small ripe bananas
6 ounces frozen strawberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
2 cups non-fat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
Measuring cups and spoons
Food processor or blender
Paper cups or plastic molds
- VEGETARIAN CHILE
- EVOLUTION TOMATO SALAD
- GARDEN SALAD WITH BUTTERMILK DRESSING
- SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS
- ALL-AMERICAN PANCAKES
- MINESTRONE SOUP
- BARBECUED CHICKEN
- BRILLIANT BROCCOLI
- CUPCAKES WITH BERRY GLAZE
- CHICKEN FAJITAS
- SIMPLEST FRUIT SALAD
- BASIC PIZZA
- POTATO WEDGES
- EVERYDAY GREEN CHOPPED SALAD
- SALMON FISH CAKES
- SLOPPY JOE
- OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES
- STEAK AND SALSA VERDE
- SPINACH RED ONION AND FETA FRITTATA